How To Reupholster A Dining Room Chair Seat And Back

How To Reupholster A Dining Room Chair Seat And Back

This article might consist of associate links. Review the complete disclosure right here This visitor upholstery tutorial is everything about exactly how to reupholster a dining chair with fabric on the seat as well as back. It was sent by among our normal factors. Charlie Miller. I inherited a number of antique furniture pieces from my Grandparents. I have had this formal-looking dining-room chair. It may be called a Carver’s Chair?– for several years now. I’ve always intended to recover as well as re-upholster. However, it’s taken me a while to get around to it. This was the week


The first thing I carried out in my mission to reupholster my dining chair was to eliminate the old textile by prying out the nails and also staples. I have a good staple cleaner yet it still took me time as they would certainly. Here some time I adhered to the recommendations in another upholstery tutorial on this website that claims it is the finest practice to save the old fabric as you take it off so you can utilize it as a pattern piece for your chair. If you consider it, someone ages as well as ages ago currently did the measuring and also calculating of exactly how big that piece of textile needs to be as well as just how to cut out the corners– so it makes sense to just trace the old piece of fabric when reducing your brand-new material


When I removed the fabric off of the armrests of this old chair. I uncovered that there were woodblocks affixed. Have been added after it was made. They were probably included the last time it was recuperated. The previous material on the armrests was well worn on the corners. These timber pieces so I made a decision to sand down the corners of these sharp rectangular blocks of wood with 60 Grit sandpaper.


I knew prior to I began this project that I desired some extra cushioning on the armrests as they constantly really felt a little bit difficult to me– that will certainly have been that tough wood block beneath I reduced the socks into rectangle-shaped items that fit around the wooden blocks. Ends up they were simply the appropriate size for what I required I placed an additional layer of the cotton padding in addition to the socks.


I picked a vibrant blue and also white art deco textile. My apartment is primarily greys, teals, and blue shades so it suits well. I’m based in Vancouver, Canada and I bought this fabric from Zazzle online. You can purchase the textile in various weights. I opted for Poplin which most likely was a touch as well slim. If I was doing it once again I would choose brushed cotton or linen.

There are similar Art Deco textiles readily available on Etsy below also. If you aren’t sure what kind of furniture textile to choose you can likewise. Have a look at this overview that aids you pick which upholstery textile to make use of and also when. I wanted to leave the wood as it was rather than painting. It as it is in good condition (plus my grandfather was not a follower of painted wood furnishings!).

I determined to choose an actually brilliant. Striking material to ensure that it still wound up looking more contemporary despite having the wood finish. When I initially began I stapled on the textile. So after that, I began to fold the side under and after that staple it to the framework.

I stapled right into the same spots/lines where the previous staples were located. Tip: Be careful to align the textile and also location staples. At the midlines on each side initially and afterward staple along the edges.


Once you have your furniture fabric protected you will certainly still. There are great deals of different selections on the market– I went with the hammered stud style trim. These studs come in a lengthy roll. Every fourth or 5th stud has a hole in it. You likewise obtain a pile of loosened studs with sharp nails on completion.

These go through the holes and you hammer the entire disrobe just at these factors. The strip of studs cut as well as flex conveniently, so they are fast and also straightforward to collaborate with. More


My last action was to re-cover the bottom of the chair seat. I actually decided to include. More padding at this point so I shoved it in from listed below under the springs. Also smoothed it out utilizing several of the textiles I had removed from the chair. (a piece that remained in the best problem) and also included it to cover the bottom. I thought this was a little ‘added upcycle’. Also, a means of keeping a little the chair’s history Finished Dining Chair. How this turned out Certainly I was nervous recovering such a household antique. The new fabric simply assimilates a lot better.

Scroll to Top